Cascades is language-agnostic dataflow programming framework that implements a number of the Flow-Based Programming (FBP) concepts. Although we consider Cascades to be a general-purpose programming framework we have created it having a, as J. P. Morrison described: "a data factory mental image in mind, where the application is expressed as a series of transforms on data streams - which requires fundamental changes from the old von Neumann thinking in the way programmers build applications."
- Cascades is cross-platform (can be used on OSX/Linux/Windows, tested also on Raspberry PI and Beagleboard Black) and completely written in Go programming language.
- Uses ZeroMQ for connections between the components.
- The core components are also written in Go, but you are free to choose any programming language of your choice as long as there are bindings for it (currently it supports: C, C++, C#, CL, Delphi, Erlang, F#, Felix, Haskell, Java, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Lua, Ruby, Ada, Basic, Clojure, Go, Haxe, Node.js, ooc, Perl, and Scala)
- Supports flows defined using NoFlo's JSON format or FBP DSL language.
Authors and Contributors
- Oleksandr Lobunets (@oleksandr)
- Alexandr Krylovskiy (@krylovsk)
The MIT License
Copyright © 2014
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.